S/V Hello World's Travel Log

raising the stick

OK, let's dispense with it right up front. The process of inserting a keel stepped mast through the mast partners and down into the lubricated mast step inside the boat is rife with opportunities for puerile comments and bawdry double entendres. "Are you sure it will fit?" "Don't think about it too much, Jason!" "Don't worry, it happens to all guys." C'mon, people. Both my mom and Christy's mom read this blog so let's take the high road here, OK? (penis! hehehe)

We brought the boat back to Canal Boatyard to step the mast last Wednesday and finally be done with boat yard work. They had to use their monster crane because the stick was too big (what?) for their regular crane. They hooked up the mast to the crane and lifted it up and over the mast partners on deck. These guys are really good at what they do and had it ready to drop into the mast step in no time. The rest of the time, we spent trying to get the wiring out of the mast. After what felt like hours of battling with the mast wiring, Christy finally got all the wiring run correctly so we could drop the mast the rest of the way down.

"Dear Santa, if you can get this in our boat without punching a hole in the bottom of the boat, I promise I'll never put Tabasco in Dad's Preparation H again!"

The yard guys hook up the mast to the crane.

Of course, we tied off the shrouds and furlers too high so Kim had to climb up the mast while it was hanging off the crane to untie it.

CHRISTY: "How's it going down there?"

JASON: [unending stream of blistering swear words]

Once we got the mast stepped, it was time to run around and attach all the stays and shrouds to make sure the mast stayed vertical.

CHRISTY: "Are the spreaders supposed to point down at a 45 degree angle?"

JASON: [unending stream of blistering swear words]

Since we'd already put the yard way off schedule by taking too long to step the mast, we decided to dock the boat over on their seawall and then deal with the spreaders.

I'm looking at the 45' space on the wall that I'm supposed to dock in directly between two boats that are way more expensive than ours. Me? Nervous?

She's a sailboat again!

Once we got docked on the seawall, we tied a messenger line to a halyard and clipped it on to each outer shroud and hauled up on it to straighten out the spreaders and that worked pretty well. We have some last minute straightening to do but we need to send someone up the mast anyways.

We just caused our first traffic jam opening the Ballard Bridge!

Fisher and Christy working the locks.

Once again, this only got done because of the help of friends. A huge bucket of thanks go out to Ben, Gina, and Kim. Fisher, true to his MO, showed up just in time for us to be done and head out for beers - the bastard. But we gave him a pass because he's still probably done more work on our boat than I have.

Gina did a brilliant job photographing the whole process for us. Ben posted the pics on flickr but flickr has that patented guaranteed-to-aggravate Random Sort algorithm that drives me crazy so I re-posted the pics on our Smugmug account here in an order that satiates my OCD.

47° 39' 33.62"N 122° 22' 14.04"W

No comments: