S/V Hello World's Travel Log

putting a lid on it

Our original fridge had two lids side by side. There was an air gap between the lids so there was never any reasonable way to seal the lids. The lids also were held open by those collapsible springs that always seem to collapse when my head or fingers were in the way. So we decided to build a new lid and ledge for the lid to sit on.

The original lid was covered in a laminate that matched the galley counter top. We stood no chance of finding a match for that laminate and were not going to re-laminate the entire galley. Instead, we decided to make the fridge lid out of a butcher block material. We found a eucalyptus butcher block counter top material from Wood Welded. It was not cheap but looks pretty cool and matches the teak interior well enough. We could only get the butcher block in 24"x36" sections - which cost $200 - so we made sure to use up the off cuts. I made a matching cutting block that drops into the sink.

The matching cutting board built from the off cuts from the fridge lid.

The R-value of hard wood is negligible so we had to insulate the underside of the lid. I used the same extruded polystyrene (XPS) insulation that I insulated the fridge with. XPS (or blue board) foam cuts and shapes really well. I was able to shape a reasonably complex piece out of the foam. After getting the shape I wanted, I fiberglassed over the foam with 10 oz. cloth.

The blue board insulation cut down to the shape of the lid insulation. The piece of foam that's cut out is where the gas spring attaches to the lid insulation. I dropped some marine ply in there so the screws were going into wood, not foam.

After fiberglassing and fixing some sanding mistakes with thickened epoxy. Our fridge is composed of approximately 35% thickened epoxy.

We also had to build a new ledge for the lid to rest on. Our new lid was a different depth than the original and I had cut away the original lid ledge in the early days of this project. I built the lid ledge with the same process as the lid insulation. I added a few more layers of fiberglass on the lid ledge since it had to withstand the weight of the lid and whatever else I drop on it.

Assembling the foam to create the lid ledge.

Fiberglassing the lid ledge.

Dry fitting the ledge along with the freezer bin.

Both the lid insulation and lid ledge were finished the same way I finished the interior of our fridge box. I mixed West Systems epoxy along with a white pigment and coated the bejeezus out of both pieces. After the 10+ coats of epoxy cured, I faired the surface down and sanded it smooth. Then I wet sanded it with every grit of paper I could find between 400 and 1200 grit. Then hit the pieces with rubbing compound followed by 3M Glaze and a shot of carnuba wax.

Working on the epoxy finish.

The last piece of the lid puzzle was how to hold up this lid that weighs 20lbs without dropping it on my fingers or head. I installed a gas spring on the lid to give an assist in lifting the lid and keeping it open while I rummage through the bottom of the fridge for the just the right can of beer. Calculating the dimensions of the gas spring was a bit more complicated than I originally planned on. It involved trigonometry, Excel spreadsheets, and a dash of wild ass guesses. In the end, the spring I used worked great. It lifts the lid with virtually no effort, holds it open, and lets you effortlessly close the lid.

The gas spring attachment to the lid insulation.

The gas spring attachment to the fridge box.

The lid insulation.

Actual food actually being cooled by our actually operational fridge!

I still haven't put a gasket on the lid. That's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet. I will also add a blog shortly on the refrigeration system we chose and how we installed it. Phew, good times right?

The tradition continues…

Jason and I have a yearly New Years tradition to go sailing (or at least boating) on Jan 1 – we’ve done it since our first year together and I’m happy to report, this year we made it out. The fridge wasn’t done done, but it was done enough to keep our beer cold frozen. Woohoo!

Morosaurus (formerly known as Pisces) brought us a special present for the occasion.

That’s right. That’s a scale model of the fridge. Made of gingerbread. Apparently we should have insulated our fridge with raisins and fiberglassed with frosting – much faster to work with.

2 nights at Blake Island Marina were great. We hadn’t been there in ages, so it was good to get back.

We had planned a circumnavigation of Bainbridge Island, but got a call from the Coast Guard to help find an adrift sailboat in our area. Hello World sprung into action! We had visions of salvage rights….

Until we saw the boat.

Jacob and Julia volunteered to board s/v Otter and steer her home as we towed her the 2 miles back to Manchester. They regretted that decision as soon as they stepped foot on the boat. It turns out that s/v Otter was home to a very dead flounder and lots of bird shit. 2 miles is a long way when you’re sitting in poop.

We got Otter back to her owner who was appreciative, but a little perturbed that we brought the boat back to the wrong dock. Or maybe he was upset that Jacob got rid of the dead fish.

Off we went to Manzanita to meet up with some of the Shilshole folk, Palarran and Andante.

A night in Poulsbo was fun and donut filled, as always.

And then Port Madison for New Years Eve where Bint al Khamseen joined us too – quite the party! With a floating sparkler show! Instructions for floating sparklers: 1) get far away from the boat(s) 2) insert sparklers into old floating cushion 3) tow said cushion around the anchorage with dinghy

All in all, it was a great few days on the boat. It makes us long for cruising again, which is handy since we’re headed to PV on Friday to visit Anon.

Feliz nuevo ano!